Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holidays!

The holidays are such a great time of year, everyone seems to be in a festive mood, the new year is on the horizon, and hopes are high. We all have the opportunity to reach outside of ourselves and think of others, either family, friends, or even complete strangers in need. It is one of the best times of the year to reach out and touch someone.
Being out of your element can also give you a chance to engage with new experiences and people.
One of the best lessons I have learned this holiday season and will take with me into the new year is to take cared of myself.
On my flight out of LA, I watched the video where they show the oxygen masks drop and tell you to " put your mask on first" before helping others. I could not help think that I would have a problem with this in my own life being the mother of three little boys. I could not imagine putting my mask on first and then helping them.
After being out of my element for a couple of weeks, I did however begin to understand that sometimes you have to take care of yourself first to be available to help others.
Being a mom it is my nature to always take care of everyone first at the expense of myself.
I have come to see how damaging this can be. When you are on everyone else's schedule, it is important to find the little things that make you feel good, even if it is as small as a cup of coffee, get your coffee. Whatever it is for you, whatever little ritual you need in your life, going to the gym, taking a jog, meditation, eating organic, getting a Starbucks, just make sure it is a healthy habit, and do not feel like you have to give up yourself when you are out of your element.
Staying true to yourself is your own personal self care, and no one is going to do it for you.




www.peakmodels.com

No comments: