Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Planning on getting sick?

So, we call the models to go out for a casting. The job pays $1000.00 per day and works three days, maybe four. The response is always colored with a range of responses. We hear everything from everyone, "I'm booked, can I go another time?" " My car is not working today",
" I have too many castings today", "I have cramps", "I didn't get the casting, my cell phone was not charged", and my new favorite, "I think that I am going to be getting sick either today or tomorrow".
Now that is amazing to me that a person would actually plan that they will be sick, instead of maybe finding a way to enhance their immune system to avoid getting sick. Believe me, I know all to well about being sick. I spent a year battling for my life with cancer. So, pardon me if I am a little less than understanding of a person that is " planning on being sick". Are you kidding?
Does anyone else find this to be self defeating?
After going through chemo and having my life turned upside down and having no choice but to go down for days at a time every other week for 7 months, I know what "not feeling well" is like. I can assure you that there is no worse torture than chemo.
The only thing besides the medical treatment that saved my life was my will to live and overcome this disease. If you are already deciding to get sick, then you will. If you decide to be well, then you will find a way to do the things that keep you well.
What are you doing to be well? What do you do on a daily basis to stay healthy? What are you doing that might not be the best for you?
Remember, you only have one body, treat it well, it has to last, hopefully for a long time!
And remember, planning on being sick will not serve you very well.

No comments: