Friday, February 15, 2008

Taking care of yourself

Last year many of you may or may not know this, but I was diagnosed with cancer. Hodgkins Lymphoma. This is cancer of the lymphatic system. I had no idea this was coming, and it now seems that it was caused by my enviornment. The reason I am telling you this is twofold.

First of all, after 4 surgeries, and 7 months of chemo, I beat it and I am totally well now. I also want to convey to all of you that you never know what is around the corner. This was the last thing I ever expected. Cancer is not in my family, I eat organic foods, I work out all the time, and overall I take really good care.

Well, as I realize now, cancer does not care. It creeps into lives that do not expect it at all. During my treatments, I had to take a shot that cost $5000.00 per dose every week. Yes, you read that correctly, five thousand dollars for one shot. This shot was designed to keep me well inbetween treatments.

Now the scary part. I found out that not all cancer patients get the shot. Why? It all depends on their insurance coverage. Now if you are out there without medical insurance, please take a moment to do yourself a favor and do not neglect your favorite person...you.

If you are a model that does not have insurance, you cannot afford to go without it. I know what you are thinking...how can I get medical insurance when I can hardly pay my rent?
Well, what if you get injured or sick? Who is going to pay your medical bills? Your parents?
Is that fair to do to them? What if you cannot work? Then what? If you get ill and are hospitalized without insurance, you wont be able to ever pay your bills after the bill you rack up for your recovery.
I do not want to stress you out, but these are grown up decesions that can impact your entire life. Thank goodness I had insurance. If not, I might not be here today.

Now if you are wondering how you would get a policy, you can buy an individual policy for yourself. You do not have to work for a big company or be in a group. The bottom line is, start looking into protecting yourself. No one is going to take care of you and the sooner you learn that the better off you will be.

I know that some of you are nervous to ask if I am OK and you are wondering how it works with cancer. Does it come back? Does it hurt? I can tell you this. I am so fine, and I feel better than ever. My particular case is treatable and cureable. There is a 98% chance that I will NEVER see it again. So, I want you to know that I am totally 1000% fine, and the only thing is I test every 6 months to make sure it is gone. And, no it does not hurt. I did not even know I had it.
Chemo is another story though, that is the worst ever.
So, thanks for checking in and keeping posted with me. I really cannot stress how important it is that you get some type of medical insurance to keep yourself safe.

Thanks,
Natasha
www.peakmodels.com

1 comment:

Wlkr said...

Wow Natasha! What a story! I am so glad you are okay and battled through that like the fighter you obviously are. :) I agree with you completely about having insurance and taking good care of yourself. Having health insurance along with the other necessary insurances are definately part of that equasion. There have been many articles over the years of people who have no signs of poor health only to find out they have a time bomb ticking within and the environment is definately suspect. There are many ways one can reduce thier contact with toxins and researching those options is very important work for all of us. One in particular that I am passionate about is not EVER microwaving plastics, especially saran wrap, and only storing food in glass containers. Plastics leach a myriad of poisons into food when it is heated or cold. There are a multitude of ways to help protect ourselves and children without becoming a fanatic just a cautious person surviving in our increasingly polluted environment. I have a question to pose due to a few incidences some of my friends have had in recent years; I am curious if you ever went through IVF as I have a couple of friends who have, and are suspicious that their health issues with cancer years after may have been caused by the anatomically stressful process of IVF. It is an interesting question...it may very well be a combination of that stress along with the stress of our environment. Unfortunately not enough studies are done in many areas that effect womens health, because of this it puts the responsibility back on us to do it ourselves and to realize it isn't wise to assume anyone has our best interest at heart equal to or more than we do.
Congratulations on your recovery and many happy healthy years to you! You are an inspiration! Takecare, Walker;)